How To Avoid Scams: Protecting Yourself While Being Kind.


Be kind but don't fall for it.


Be Cautious And Aware

 Interesting stories have been told of people falling victim to online scams, but for a person to be scammed by a beggar on the wayside, it is rare. Well, it happened to a young girl and her story is worth listening to.


“I was going to pray on the oval as usual as I do almost every 8pm. I walked past a narrow path by a slab that encircles the car park of the oval. A man was sitting on the slab. As I passed by, he called me, “Hello”.

I ignored him because I was praying on my way from the library and wasn’t interested in talking to strangers at that time of the day. So, I got to the oval and had an amazing time with God. After that, I headed back to hall.



Just before I left, I heard the Lord speak to me “I have not given you the spirit of fear but of power and of love and of a sound mind.” I received it into my spirit and chose to act accordingly.

Verify Thier Claims

Initially, I planned to take another route to avoid the man but after the Word from God, I chose to use the same path. Though it was very dark, it didn't feel too intimidating since it was an open place with many people passing by.  As I walked past the man, I noticed he was engaged in a conversation with another gentleman so I paused and watched.

Their conversation ended quickly, and I observed the gentleman who was talking to the strange man walk away. I approached the strange man cautiously and asked, 'When I passed by, you called me. Did you need something?'




                He replied, 'Yes, I do. I'm hungry, and I don't even have a place to sleep.' Intrigued, I continued to question him, 'Where are you from? How did you end up here, and what brings you here?' He explained, 'I'm from another region, and I arrived in Accra on a truck.'

At that moment, I couldn't help but wonder if he had smuggled himself. However, to make a long story short, he managed to convince me that he had applied for a job as a cleaner but was told to come back the following week. Moved by compassion, I decided to give him some money for food. I assured him that I would return shortly.


Suddenly, he started pleading, expressing how hungry he was and that he hadn't eaten for two days. I reassured him, saying, 'I understand, and I'll be back.' He even went as far as saying, 'I would kneel down if I could.' I responded, 'There's no need for that; I will return.'



I didn’t have enough money on me as I went to pray. So, I wanted to go to my hall and get some for him. After explaining that to him, he said, “Okay, God bless you”. I turned and left. You see, I was from the prayer ground so I planned to pray very well before giving the money it to him.

Involve God

So on my way to the hall, I began praying, “Lord what should I do?” I suddenly felt compelled to call my mother. Then doubts arose, questioning whether I needed to inform my mother before giving a needy person money for supper. Despite the hesitation, I made the call. As I began narrating the incident to my parents, they told me, ‘Call your brother immediately and tell him what you just told us.

Curious, I asked, ‘Why? Is something wrong? You're scaring me.’ They insisted, ‘Just call.’ So, I called my brother and told him what had happened. To my surprise, he said, ‘Why did you give him money? That man scammed me earlier this week. He told me the same story, and I gave him money for food and to travel back to his hometown. I later got to know he was a scammer when he tried to hack my account after calling me on the phone the next day and asking for money again.’



I was speechless.  All I could say was, “Oh, I haven’t given him yet. I was just about to.” So apparently, the man is a scammer who told my brother the same story a few days before he met me. Little did he know that he would encounter two siblings in one week.”

 

                       ത ത ത ത

This young girl’s brother was just being obedient unto the Lord to give to the poor and kind. However, the devil was cunning. Although obedience and giving are necessary, we must also ask God for direction in every step, as we are admonished to pray without ceasing. First Thessalonians 5:17 beautifully expresses this, “Be unceasing in prayer [praying perseveringly]”.

I have come to realize that we often are unaware of the depths of what takes place in this world except for what we are exposed to. That is why we are to entrust everything into the hands of the all-knowing God.



Often, we receive gentle prompts like the one this young girl received, ‘Call Mummy, Call Mummy.’ However, we also encounter opposing thoughts. So, how can we distinguish the voice of God from the voice of the enemy? Through prayer and the Word.

In Psalm 91:1, the Amplified Classic version says,

[1] He who dwells in the secret place of the Most High shall remain stable and fixed under the shadow of the Almighty [Whose power no foe can withstand].




                Let’s trust in God and surrender unto him totally and we will realize how amazing it is to be in His presence.

 

 

 

 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Comfort in Challenging Times

Boosting Self-Esteem: My Journey To Overcoming Low Confidence and Building Self Worth.

We will exist forever...

Who Am I Not To Shine

Answering The Call -The Account

Unleashing The Power Of Positive Thinking: You Are What You Think - Transform Your Life

Confronting the Wickedness of Lynching

Purpose In Life.

Blood for blood?

My talent - Your Glory