Boosting Self-Esteem: My Journey To Overcoming Low Confidence and Building Self Worth.


I didn't know my identity.

This is the first installment of the trilogy 'Being Exactly Who I Am.,' where I discuss my personal experience with low self-esteem and how I overcame it.  


I distinctly remember being very shy during my time in primary school, and in addition to that shyness, I felt a lack of identity. I used to mimic others, adopting their personalities and playing those roles proficiently for a week until I discovered a new "role model." I felt empty by myself and believed that everyone else was superior to me. This feeling persisted as I progressed through my academic journey.



How I Was Rescued from That Line of Thinking

 

There came a point in my life when I felt inspired to share the word of God during a gathering of a few students. Despite my shyness, I mustered the courage to do it for the first time, merely quoting a verse: Psalm 4:4 (AMPC) - "Be angry [or stand in awe] and sin not; commune with your own hearts upon your beds and be silent (sorry for the things you say in your hearts). Selah [pause, and calmly think of that]!" I swiftly exited the stage. The following day, I attempted to share again in the same gathering, and this time, I managed to say a few words explaining the quoted verse. I continued doing so over the next few days, and it became easier with each attempt. Before I completed my secondary education at the age of 18, I found myself preaching in front of over 800 students during the school's morning devotion, and I give all the glory to God.


 

How It Works

God discovered me at my weakest point, transforming that weakness into strength and using my insecurities to bless me for His glory. God does not seek out perfect human beings to work through; He knows we are imperfect on our own. However, His strength is perfected in our weaknesses. We need only make ourselves available to Him, and He will work powerfully in our lives.

2nd Corinthians 12:9 (NKJV) states, "And He said to me, 'My grace is sufficient for you, for My strength is made perfect in weakness.' Therefore, most gladly I will rather boast in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me." God is our all in all.

 During a period in my life when all hope seemed lost, God reassured me that He alone is sufficient to help me out of any situation. True to His word, He delivered me in no time.

 

Faith Is the Key

The Bible teaches us that without faith, it is impossible to please God. Hebrews 11:6 (NIV) states, "And without faith, it is impossible to please God because anyone who comes to Him must believe that He exists and that He rewards those who earnestly seek Him." We must place our trust in God, surrendering all our worries and troubles to Him. He is always faithful and true. That is how God built my confidence and helped me discover my true identity. I am a child of God, and this identity is held by every born-again believer. It only took a simple surrender to Him for me to find out, and I no longer impersonate anyone. I now know who I truly am. 



Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Comfort in Challenging Times

We will exist forever...

Who Am I Not To Shine

Answering The Call -The Account

Unleashing The Power Of Positive Thinking: You Are What You Think - Transform Your Life

Confronting the Wickedness of Lynching

Purpose In Life.

Blood for blood?

My talent - Your Glory